Tuesday, April 22, 2008

OneVoice Israel/Palestine


Today I had lunch with an organization called OneVoice. This group is a conflict resolution org that has offices in Ramallah and Tel Aviv. They aim to "amplify the voice of the overwhelming but heretofore silent majority of moderates who wish for peace" and "demand accountability from elected representative and ensure that the agenda is not hijacked by forces of militant absolutism." They don't talk about everyone agreeing for the Israeli's and Palestinians definitely disagree about issues but they agree that the conflict has to end. One of the topics I got the most out of is the media. An Israeli student remarked that she was scared to go to UCI b/c she had heard it was anti-semitic. It is so sad that this is the reputation of us. I just don't see anti-semintism here at UCI, but I am sure those who argue for it will comment that I am not Israeli. But I have seen anti-Islamic activities on campus. I am not saying it doesn't but after the letter that UCI is safe for Jewish students and seeing all the pro-Jewish events on campus that are successful I really become sad when I read critical articles against our campus. It also makes me feel for the students who are stuck between their communities pressure, the everyday pressures of their age, and the journey of embracing their Jewish identity fully. This is why projects supporting the students are so important. (Especially my project, the Olive Tree Initiative!! ;) see www.citizenpeacebuilding.org for more info)

One of the OneVoice representatives, a Palestinian woman named Malaka, said something that struck me, she said, "When I go to heaven, God will not ask me if my neighbor did something to make a difference in the world, he will ask me what I did." That statement reinforced what I am doing in this business of peace.

"When I go to heaven, God will not ask me if my neighbor did something to make a difference in the world, he will ask me what I did."

No comments: