Friday, June 12, 2009

Elections in Iran


I am listening to the news coming in about today's Iranian elections and hearing contradicting reports about incumbent Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his reformist challenger, Mir Hussein Moussavi.. this is making me nervous. I am really hoping that Moussavi wins even though I do realize the Supreme Leader runs things and probably not a whole lot will change. Maybe I am being naive about it mattering who wins. I just get the feeling it would be a good sign for future Iran-US relations. It's too soon to tell for sure, most likely we won't know for sure til after the weekend. It seems Iranian youth have rocked the vote, which is great. Though, it's hard to tell how free and fair the elections actually are. I don't know why I am so anxious about this. Anyway, an Iranian friend of mine sent me this short interview with Mr. Mosavi with Al Jazeera English for anyone interested.

No comments: