Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Thoughts on Finklestein

Norman Finklestein came to UCI last night to discuss whether anti- Zionism was anti-semitism. I agree with him that it isn't. I criticize America but am not anti-American, although certainly some Republicans would disagree. I also thought his logic on why Israel an be blamed for the indiscriminate killings of civilians even though "they didn't mean to" made sense. And I was convinced that Israel has broken International laws. I loved that after his lecture he asked for questions but wanted to give priorities to dissenters first- those who had listened quietly and respectfully but disagreed wholly. I was very disappointed that the many Jew's in attendance didn't take this opportunity to rebut. Whether I agree on his full argument or not, I think what was more important is what his speech was doing to end the conflict? I concluded that whether he was right or wrong, he is part of the problem and not the solution.

No comments: