Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Top Secret Security

A couple articles brought to my attention by Paul about the Security Clearance for State Department Interns..

State Department struggles to clear interns

State Department Interns Wait (And Wait, And Wait)

I found the process to be long, difficult and frustrating. I have done a lot of traveling and I will tell you that when you study abroad and go back-packing across Europe, you don't think to write down every date you stepped in and out of a country, the places you stayed and such. Nor do you think you will have to provide a full profile, DOB, SS #, history, birth place, job history for every non-American you add as a friend on Facebook. But you must! Lesson learned, if you are even thinking of joining foreign service or even interning there keep impeccable notes. I went to the West Bank last year and it create a lot more hassle then just going to France on a family vacation. I will say it was worth getting to sit in on some high profile meetings and I was granted security clearance. So I managed somehow.

2 comments:

Erin Kamler said...

Thanks for the info. I am now clear about the fact that I will never, ever, ever be able to get security clearance for such a position. :)

Kate Azar said...

Ya, I thought it was kinda sad how well traveled people are so crucial to the State Department's mission and yet they are discouraged by this process. But if I passed I guess it is possible. I really hope very worldly people such as your self don't get discouraged because the State Dept needs them!